Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Peace Indicator: 107, 35, 10,979

Since the Peace Indicator took an unexpected two week vacation I thought I would offer 3 numbers this week.

All three of these numbers came from my friend John Shuford, who works with the Alternatives to Violence Project, both in the United States and internationally. John pulled together information for me from several AVP reports.

According to AVP-USA's 2009 Annual report they held trainings in 107 correctional facilities in 35 U.S. states. Those trainings served 10,979 inmates (990 of which were trained to be facilitators).

From John's reports I also discovered that elements of AFSC's Help Increase the Peace Project have been integrated into the AVP programs used in Australia.

AVP's work world-wide has provided the tools of nonviolence to an amazing variety of people. If you have some time, I highly recommend looking over some the the reports on their site. They provide great examples of the power and impact of their programs, and the steps they are taking to bring peace to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment