Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why Rosie’s our girl

Rosie, our One Minute for Peace poster guinea, shares a lot in common with many of us here at the American Friends Service Committee: she’s vegetarian, she doesn’t talk a lot, and she’s cute and cuddly.



OK, I made that last part up.

Let’s be up front about this: We’re determined to raise $1.9 million for peace. Sound like a lot? Not to the U.S. government, which spent that much every minute in 2008 on the military – and which plans to spend a whopping 57% of all discretionary spending on the military next year.

But how could we make those mind-boggling numbers seem real?

Videos!

We discussed a number of ideas for one-minute videos when we started this campaign: earnest, off-the-wall, humorous, and possibly demented.

Everyone had excellent points about what type of videos would be best, but we couldn’t come to consensus. So our web team did the next best thing: Aaron, Ralph, Terry, and Carl went out and created their own videotapes. (I stayed here to write.) Some are earnest. Some are off the wall. Some are humorous.

None are demented.

We’ll put up a new video every week for your viewing enjoyment.

But there’s a catch. (Oh, come on – you knew there’d be a catch from the get-go.) We want you to respond. Post your own videos on YouTube or other video services. Comment on this blog. Respond on our YouTube site at www.youtube.com/oneminuteforpeace.

Most of all, we hope you’ll open your hearts – and wallets – to help us raise One Minute for Peace.

Coming soon to a peace blog near you: What we could do with $1.9 million.

7 comments:

  1. That's a lot of carrots! I can't watch the ticker at the bottom of the page - it moves so, so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Rosie is so cute she inspires me. Love the background music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah. the ticker is disturbing and disheartening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with Peter Park's comment posted in response to the Rosie video...I really like what you're trying to say, but this video doesn't work for me...it almost cheapens the issue too much by being so "out-of-the-box." Surely there are more compelling ways to send this important message. If I owned a video camera I might work on one myself...

    What really worries me is that after receiving Parks' worthy comment, the comment-posting feature was disabled for the Rosie video! This does not at all seem in line with the values of a Quaker organization! Friends, please allow all who wish to post our reactions!

    Peace,
    Justin Mog
    Madison, WI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin,

    For the record, we're happy to have people disagree with us. If these videos and this blog generate discussion of any kind they will be serving their purpose.

    I'm not sure why YouTube doesn't seem to be allowing comments on the Rosie video at the moment. I actually tried to respond to the comment that you mentioned and my own response didn't get posted. I'll take a little time to sort out what happened and report back here.

    On another note, if you're looking for more serious videos about the costs of war you might check out our Cost of War video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnq6cD5jk1Q

    It is about 18 months old, and the figures haven't been updated recently but it tells a related story in a more serious way.

    Thank you for your feedback.
    Aaron Crosman
    AFSC

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to follow up quickly about commenting on YouTube. This time I was able to respond to the comments from Peter without any trouble (using my personal account not one with special access to that channel). I'm not sure what happened earlier, but the problem seems to have resolved itself. If anyone else experiences trouble please let us know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A supporter who has been having trouble posting a comment asked me to post this comment:

    Thank the Goddess for you guys..with all the state budgets going down the tubes the media just NEVER mentions the cost of the war does it? I forwarded it to all my friends... and when my kid get home from camp he will LOVE it... the kids LOVE animal videos!!!! in friendship, Reynolds

    If anyone else continues to have trouble posting comments, please contact us by email and let us know: web@afsc.org

    ReplyDelete